My youngest grandchild, Patrick, turns ten years old today!
I admired ultrasound pictures of him before he came into this world and I was there, with his Mom, the day he was born. I snuggled and cuddled him when he was just tiny. I talked to him and sang to him and waited for his smile. He had a great smile, even then.
Patrick is the only one of my grandchildren to have been bitten by a snake!
I have a lot of snakes here, on this bit of low woodland I live on. Garter snakes, mostly, but I occasionally see other varieties. None of them are poisonous. I have always picked them up, to show visiting children. They like to feel their scales (not slimy!) and see – close up – the way snakes move and learn about their surroundings by their darting tongue. It’s important, I think, for children to understand snakes, and not be afraid of them.
When Patrick was three, he visited me here on Beaver Island. His Mom went to town one day, and Patrick and I went to check on the growing things in the garden. It was a warm day, so several garter snakes were out sunning themselves on top of the compost bin. Patrick was thrilled to see them, and answered “Yes!” he’d like to touch one and later “Please!” could he hold it, too.
I had done this before.
First the chance to touch the snake, to feel his muscles tense and wiggle, so there are no surprises. Then, see how I hold the snake, just behind his head, firmly but not too tight. With your other hand, support his twisting body.
The transfer is the only tricky part. I move my fingers back just a little, so the child can get their fingers just behind the head, then help them get a feel for the right amount of grip, then watch their eyes get big and face break out in smile at the wonderment of the strength and movement contained in that small animal…and then we gently release the snake, and watch him move away.
I’d done it dozens of times.
Nothing to worry about.
Patrick did everything perfectly.
A born snake handler!
Then, for just a second, he relaxed his grip.
In the blink of an eye, that snake turned and bit him on the hand!
Two fangs actually punctured his tender three-year-old skin!
Released, the snaked wiggled away into the tall grass.
I was surprised.
Patrick was even more surprised.
He let out a yell.
I grabbed him up and brought him into the house. We examined his wound, and cleaned it good with soap and water. I made several calls…to the Medical Center, the veterinarian and the nurse-line at the hospital on the mainland… to reassure myself that I had done everything I should, and that I didn’t have to worry about salmonella or anything like that.
We related the story to Patrick’s mom, when she got back.
Later, it was told again, to Patrick’s Dad (who is afraid of snakes!).
Then, we all stored it in our minds as an important legend in the history of Grandma Cindy’s house on Beaver Island, the grand-children’s visits there, and Patrick’s childhood.
We bring out this story on special occasions…like today, on his ten-year-old birthday.
Happy Birthday, Patrick!