List your values and beliefs:
- I believe in the Golden Rule. I am sure that if each person would look honestly into their heart and always treat others as they would like to be treated, the world would be a much kinder place.
- I believe in kindness. My daughter has a quote from the Dalai Lama on her home page: “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”
- I believe people will do their darnedest to live up to expectations others have for them. Because of that, I try to begin with, “You are so good at…” rather than, “You need to do better at….” When talking about my children with other mothers, I’d make a point of talking as if they already possessed the behavior I wanted them to cultivate. Even if they were in a far distant room, deeply involved in play, I’d say, “Oh, Jenny plays very well with other children” or “Katey is really good at sharing,” and I’d notice their little shoulders squaring up, their eyes brightening, and maybe a little smile playing ’round their lips. Imagine how differently their reaction, if I’d said something negative!
- I believe in paying attention. Life is short. Moments are fleeting. Days fly past. Even golden moments, and important days. Take note. Pay attention. Appreciate all that is here. In the blink of an eye, it could be gone.
- I believe in doing no harm. This one is hard. I swat mosquitoes and kill flies. I set traps for mice. I recently found a hornet’s nest-in-progress, just inside the entrance to my garden shed. I hit it with a thick spray of foaming wasp and hornet killer. I am pretty merciless when it comes to non-flowering or invasive weeds. I eat meat. I have spread gossip, and talked unkindly about others behind their back. So, clearly, for me, it is not always possible. I still think it is a good intention, and that I am a better person for holding this up as an objective, even though I will never be completely successful.
- I believe we have a duty to help and protect those weaker or needier than ourselves. We’re all here together on this planet, all simply striving for a little bit of happiness.
- I believe there are benefits in hard work.
- I believe in laughter.
- I believe in love.