List your greatest comforts:
- Family. Those people that love me and accept me no matter what, that put up with my bad humor, differing political opinions and incessant whining with grace, that shore me up with their unwavering devotion…they are my greatest comfort.
- Friends. The gift of understanding, shared experience and laughter is a huge comfort.
- My dogs, with their trust and unwavering faithfulness, for their warmth and closeness, for how they make me smile.
- My books. When I read books on simplifying and clearing space, I get agitated when the conversation turns to getting rid of books. I can let go of some stuff…but generally not books.
- My peach sweatshirt. I found it in a secondhand store, in perfect condition. I irreparably stained it the first time I wore it. Still, it’s warm and comfortable, and long enough to hide the belly fat.
- My health insurance. It usually only covers a fraction of the cost of an office call, lab work or prescriptions (though it paid for a flu shot entirely!) but it’s a big comfort knowing it is there if I get seriously ill.
- My job…because it is awfully nice to be able to pay your own way in this world.
- My memory. I’m not entirely comfortable that it will always be with me – sometimes it fails me already – but right now, it is a solace to know that I can pull up people and events from my past to revisit loved ones and relive precious moments.
- My daily journal. To remind me of what I’ve done…and what I need to do.