List the things you treasure most:
- Family and friends, right on top of the list, of course.
- Rosa Parks, my sweet little dog.
- My job, because it’s usually enjoyable, and it’s always so nice to be able to pay the bills.
- Mementos, a few: special photographs, one piece of art and some other little gifts.
- My books: all of them, but especially Heidi by Johanna Spyrii, The Essays of E.B. White (actually, all books by E.B. White), Poems by Emily Dickinson, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard, The White Lantern & Other Pursuits by Evan S. Connell, An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler, Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant by the Moosewood Collective, and bird by bird by Anne Lamott. Last but not least, Naming Nature by my dear friend, Mary Blocksma, for the excellent writing and wonderful information…but also because she mentions me (even refers to me as “slim” and “cheerful”) on page 163!
- Art supplies. Really. I just love a gorgeous sheet of deckle-edged rag paper. Can’t beat freshly sharpened pencils…or, for that matter, a good pencil sharpener.
- Cloth napkins. Especially the heavy red ones.
- Candles, in perfume scents: floral and musk and woodsy.
- Bath salts.
- The smell of cedar, milk weed blossoms and fresh cut grass.
- Laughter, when it’s real. I love to be taken over by fits of uncontrollable giggles…and I can’t resist a baby’s laugh.
- Memories, for they keep me in touch with my own past, and keep loved ones close.